Wednesday, February 26, 2014

I met Team USA!

I got to meet roller derby royalty! This weekend was the Stars and Stripes roller derby tournament here in Dallas, TX. Team USA was doing a boot camp, as well as an exhibition game. These girls are the few picked out of hundreds that tried out from all over the country. They are fierce athletes. The woman below Bonnie Thunders was written up in ESPN as the LeBron James of roller derby. Click here for the article.



Suzy Hotrod is also amazing to watch! She was featured in the ESPN body issue. 



Team USA will be back in Dallas for the Roller Derby World Cup this December. It was an incredible bout to watch, much like the intensity of the Olympics. Below are 3 other USA athletes Wild Cherri, Carmen Getsome and Second Hand Smoke that I had the chance to meet.




Next is Baller Shot Caller. You might be wondering, wow their parents gave them some UNIQUE names :) Well these are their derby names. You get to come up with an alter ego of sorts when you are in Derby. There are fun ones like Penelope Bruise, Smarty Pants etc. Mine is The Boss of Chaos. 


I gave myself a fun manicure using pink and black nail polish with a Sally Hansen Houndstooth sticker. It was my first time using them and they have help up well for 4 days so far. 


Saturday morning I cheered my sisters Special Olympic basketball team onto a Silver medal win. Then it was the roller derby tournament the rest of the day. Sunday started with lovely weather and a walk around White Rock Lake with my dad and sister. Here is the view of downtown Dallas from the lake.



After our 9.5mile walk we headed to a small mom and pop Mexican food restaurant where I had some amazing beef and potato mini tacos (the size of my palm) with fresh shredded cabbage and queso fresco on top. I ate half and brought half home for later. It was not too heavy and full of flavor.


Weight wise I am the same as last Wednesday. I had 2hrs of derby practice-1400 calories burned on Monday and last night I skated with a friend for an hr and a half. Even though my weight isn't going down as fast as it was at the beginning of the year, I can feel myself getting stronger and my endurance improving greatly. I intend to do yoga sometime soon to stretch out all my sore muscles and to finally find a foam roller. I've searched in 4 different stores and they've all been out! I am linking up with Heather and Ash for WIW as well as Liz over at Fitness Blondie

What would your roller derby "alter ego" name be? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment