Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Fun Family Fitness

Another half marathon is in the books! This past Sunday was the third time I did the Rock n' Roll Dallas Half marathon. 



It started out in 2012 with my dad and boyfriend. 


I was about 15 pounds heavier in this picture.

Last year we recruited my dad's brother and his daughter/my cousin. My dad is 60, his brother 61. I strive to be that athletic when I am their age!






It was interesting because my dad and I are "woggers". That first year we finished in 3:30. Last year we finished in 3:15. 




We ended catching up to my uncle towards the end of the race, who is in excellent shape and runs 5ks and lifts weights. BUT he didn't train for long distances or walk any, which at distance really makes a difference. He ran as far as he can as long as he could and as far as he could and walked the rest but had to hobble to the car (he was so sore). In contrast, I trained to walk/jog long distances all the way up to 13.1 miles and felt only minor soreness, could have even gone a few more miles . I firmly believe getting in long training walk/jogs/runs leading up to the race are important. My compression socks also made a world of difference in my recovery. I wore one pair during the race and another after. If you have access to a hot tub or spa tub definitely take advantage of that! Foam rollers are also your frienemy after 13.1 miles-it "hurts so good." 

This year we recruited my dad's other brother and my sister. 



Our goal was a sub 3 hour half marathon. My sister is special needs, was a preemie and not even suppose to be able to walk! So it was quite the accomplishment that she finished this with my dad and I at 3:21. Could my dad and I have gone faster? Yes, but we wanted to support and encourage my sister and finish as a family. The last 3 miles were the hardest for my sister, you could really see her struggling. I am so proud that she stuck with it! Next year I think she will do it again, but be a part of a relay and do half the 13.1 miles. The weather was windy, overcast and in the 60's. I am so glad it didn't rain like the forecast predicted! Here are a few more photos from Sunday :)









I really enjoy being active with my family. My mom was a wonderful cheerleader and showed up on the course 7-8 times. It was sweet, she told me as she was waiting for us to pass by, she'd cheer on others. If someone looked to be having a hard time and struggling she would look them in the eye and yell encouragement. I am linking up with AshHeather and Liz. I can't wait to see what everyone has been up to! Have a great week.

No comments:

Post a Comment